All Faculty, Staff
Professor of Human Resource & Workforce Development
College of Education and Health Professions
(RHRC)-Rehabilitation, Human Resources, and Communication Disorders
Fax: (479) 575-3319
Claretha Hughes, Associate Professor, teaches Human Resource and Workforce Development in the Department of Rehabilitation, Human Resources and Communication Disorders at the University of Arkansas in Fayetteville, Arkansas. Her research focuses on value creation through the use of human resource development and technology development. She is interested in the impact of the five values (location, use, maintenance, modification, and time) of people and technology (1) on teaching and learning processes and motivation; (2) on organizational culture, change strategies, and leadership; and (3) on the use technology in the workplace environment and employee behavior.
She is the 2009 University Council of Workforce and Human Resource Education Outstanding Assistant Professor. Dr. Hughes has a Ph.D. from Virginia Tech, a MT degree from NC State University, a BA from Clemson University and an MBA from the Sam M. Walton College of Business at the University of Arkansas. She has publications in journals such as Human Resource Development Review, Workforce Education Forum, the International Journal of Human Resource Development and Management and the Journal of the North American Management Society. Her book Valuing people and technology in the workplace: A competitive advantage framework (http://www.igi-global.com/book/valuing-people-technology-workplace/59747) won the 2013 R. Wayne Pace Book of the Year award from the Academy of Human Resource Development. Additional books include American Black women and interpersonal leadership styles and Impact of diversity on organization and career development, Managing human resource development programs: Current issues and evolving trends
- Conduct research on value creation through the use of human resource development and technology development.
- Evaluate the impact on teaching, learning, processes and motivation.
- Evaluate the impact of technology on the workplace environment and employee behavior.
- Evaluate the impact on organizational culture and change strategies and leadership by inspiration.
Human Resource Development/Management
- University Perspectives
- Employment Law in HRD*
- First Year Experience
- Experiential Learning
- M.B.A., University of Arkansas, Fayetteville, AR, 2009
- Ph.D., Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, VA, Career & Technical Education, 2002
- M.T., North Carolina State University, Raleigh, NC, Textile Technology Management, 1995
- B.A., Clemson University, Clemson, SC, Chemistry, 1991
(For full listing see attached CV above)
- Hughes, C., Lusk, S., & Dewey, S. (2016). Recognizing and accommodating employees with PTSD: Intersection of human resource development, rehabilitation, and psychology. New Horizons in Adult Education and Human Resource Development.
- Hughes, C. (2015). Valuing diversity through a career development paradigm shift. Academy of Business Research Journal, 2, 40-67.
- Hughes, C. (2013). Enhancing organizational and human resource flexibility using modification value and strategic human resource development. Proceedings of the 2013 Industry Studies Conference. Industry Studies Association.
- Hughes, C. (2014). Integrating diversity into organization and career development: A changing perspective. In C. Hughes (Ed.) Impact of diversity on organization and career development. Hershey, PA: IGI Global. (Refereed)
- Hughes, C. (2014). Leveraging diversity for competitive advantage. In C. Hughes (Ed.) Impact of diversity on organization and career development. Hershey, PA: IGI Global. (Refereed)
- Hughes, C. (2008). Train-the-Trainer Manual. Saint-Gobain NorPro.
- Hughes, C. (2008). Kiln Technical Training Manual. Saint-Gobain NorPro.
- Hughes, C. (2014, March). Valuing diversity through a career development paradigm shift.
Paper presented at the Academy of Business Research Spring 2014 International Conference, New Orleans, LA. (Best Paper Award)
- Byrd, M., Scott, C., Sims, C. Hughes, C., Corley, T., Lambert, A., Thomas, S. & Wyche,T. (2013, August, 6). The current landscape of workforce diversity and inclusion: A view from corporate America [Webinar]. In Academy of Human Resource Development Webinar Series. Retrieved from https://m360.ahrd.org/frontend/portal/viewcalendar.aspx.
- Zajicek, A., Turner, R, Koski, P., & Hughes, C. (December 9, 2010). National Science Foundation ADVANCE Grant – University of Arkansas: Environmental Assessment Group Committee Report. Technical Report developed for the University of Arkansas ADVANCE grant team, p. 1-79.
2011- 2015 Director, College of Education and Health Professions Honors Program, University of Arkansas, Fayetteville, AR
2011 - Associate Professor, University of Arkansas, Fayetteville, AR
2011 - 2013 Program Coordinator, Human Resource and Workforce Development, University of Arkansas, Fayetteville, AR
2010-2011 Chair, Human Resource Development Committee, University of Arkansas, Fayetteville, AR
2005 - 2010 Assistant Professor, University of Arkansas, Fayetteville, AR
2004-2005 Clinical Assistant Professor, University of Arkansas, Fayetteville, AR
2014 Office of Nationally Competitive Awards Recognition, University of Arkansas
2013 COEHP Significant Research Award
2013 Nominee, Academy of Management Book of the Year Award
2012 R. Wayne Pace Academy of Human Resource Development Book of the Year Award (Valuing People and Technology in the Workplace
2012 Outstanding Mentor Award, Office of Nationally Competitive Awards, University
2012 Golden Tusk Awards, Three student nominated, University of Arkansas Office of Student Affairs
2010 Nominee, AHRD Early Career Scholar Award
2008-2009 Rising Star, Department of Rehabilitation, Human Resources and Communication Disorders, University of Arkansas.
2009 University Council for Workforce and Human Resource Education (UCWHRE) Outstanding Assistant Professor.
2007-2008 Outstanding Advisor, Department of Rehabilitation, Human Resources and Communication Disorders, University of Arkansas.
2005 Nominee, Advocate of the Year, Roanoke Regional Chamber of Commerce.
2004, 2005 Teaching Service Award from Colorado Technical University.
2003 Finalist, Entrepreneur of the Year Award, Virginia Minority Supplier
2002-2003 Leadership Roanoke Valley.
2001 Omicron Delta Kappa
1999 Phi Kappa Phi
1999 Phi Delta Kappa
1999 Kappa Delta Pi
1999 International Who's Who of Professional Management