Asst. Dean Admin/Director UREC
office of the Assistant Dean GRAD 306, phone (479) 575-5668
College of Education and Health Professions
Fax: (479) 575-7008
Jeremy was named Director of University Recreation August 1, 2010. He came to the University of Arkansas in July, 2003 as a Graduate Assistant for Intramural Sports, during which time he earned his Master’s of Education in Recreation Management in May, 2005. Jeremy accepted his first position with University Recreation in January 2005 as Facility Coordinator. Prior to being named the Director of University Recreation, Jeremy also held the position of Associate Director of Facilities and Senior Associate Director of University Recreation. Before moving to Arkansas, Jeremy earned a Bachelor’s of Education in Elementary Education from Central Michigan University.
As director, Jeremy is responsible for the leading the department of University Recreation; directing the operational and administrative supervision for 18 staff members, 7 graduate assistants, and more than 400 student staff members; facility and programming operations of UREC facilities; direct the business operations of UREC, including strategic planning, financial planning, departmental guidelines and policies, and construction and renovation projects; assessment of facilities and programs; and collaborative programming and partnerships with campus partners. University Recreation serves more than 32,000 students, faculty, staff, and alumni, operating three facilities, and providing nearly 200 unique opportunities for participation programs and informal recreation.
- Ed.D., University of Arkansas, higher education, 2016
- M.Ed., University of Arkansas, recreation, 2005
- B.S.E., Central Michigan University, elementary education, 2003
Director, University of Arkansas
University Recreation October 2009 – Present
- Direct the administration and supervision of the Department of Intramural/Recreational Sports, including programs, facilities, operations, personnel, budgets.
- Coordinate and supervise eleven full-time staff members, 7 graduate assistants, and 300 student employees, initiate and coordinate the recruitment, selection, training, and evaluation of staff, and establish a communication network within the department that allows for the flow of essential information for all staff members to perform their responsibilities.
- Establish and maintain communication lines and collaborative relationships with academic and non-academic units to create and maintain efficient service for the department and its customers.
- Provide leadership for construction, renovation/expansion, and general improvement of comprehensive recreational sport facilities.
- Provide direction for assessment practices, annual reports, and other feedback mechanisms.
- Compare trends in campus recreation to determine potential impact or application to the department.
- Oversee the functions of the Intramural/Recreational Sports Advisory Committee.
- Serve as a liaison to Financial Affairs, Human Resources, Police Department, and Facilities Management.
Senior Associate Director, Facility Management, University of Arkansas
Intramural/Recreational Sports July 2006 – August 2009
- HPER Building Management: Coordinate daily operations of the Health, Physical Education, and Recreation (HPER) Building, schedule classroom and recreational areas of the HPER Building, maintain computerized facility scheduling and record system for all uses of HPER, establish and implement building policies and operating procedures, liaison to Department of Public Safety, liaison to Facilities Management’s Environmental Health and Safety office, collect and maintain participation records for all activity areas, coordinate and administer tours of HPER, plan, implement, and administer comprehensive risk management plan, prepare and update student employee handbooks and manuals, prepare and monitor the Facility Management operational budget, manage a comprehensive equipment inventory system, monitor and supervise the HPER membership and locker rental programs, plan, coordinate, and administer special events within HPER, assist with the coordination of all facility maintenance projects, assist with the planning and coordination of renovation and construction projects within HPER, oversee the operation of the Natatorium and related mechanical systems.
- HPER Building Student Employees: Hire, train, schedule, and evaluate student employees involved in building operations, aquatics, and special events involved with the Facility Management program, maintain comprehensive payroll program for student employees, plan and implement student employee incentive programs, implement annual comprehensive all employee training programs.
- HPER Building Special Events: Plan, schedule, and administer special events hosted in the HPER Building, prepare written agreements and estimates, oversee the preparation of billing invoices, prepare and display necessary signage, prepare an evaluation and summary of all rental events.
Facility Coordinator, University of Arkansas
Intramural/Recreational Sports January 2005 – June 2006
- Responsible for the administration, operations, and maintenance of the 225,000 square foot University of Arkansas Health, Physical Education, and Recreation (HPER) Facility.
- Oversaw the aquatic program including maintenance of the natatorium, including a full size, 750,000 gallon Olympic pool.
- Managed 3 full-time staff members.
- Hired, trained, evaluated, and managed a diverse student staff of 80+, including Facility Assistants, Service Center Representatives, Lifeguards, and Student Building Supervisors.
- Assisted in the planning, staffing, and administration of all special events which require rental or reservation of the HPER Facility.
- Monitored and maintained all operational and programming capabilities of the HPER Facility.
- Developed and utilized advertising and marketing strategies for all Intramural/Recreational Sports Programs and HPER Building memberships.
- Generated reports relating to facility usage, participation, budgets, and personnel.
- Ensured that all security and risk management policies and procedures are followed.
- Purchased facility equipment ie: fitness, sports, academic, technological, and recreational.
- Wrote comprehensive bid requests for locker renovations, computer software program, audio/video equipment, and pool maintenance items.
- Managed and implemented a computerized payroll system for 300+ student employees.
- Developed incentive program that recognizes student employees for hard work and dedication.
- Developed a student ambassador council.
- Spoke to several student organizations on campus.
- Assisted with the National Youth Sports Program.
Graduate Assistant, University of Arkansas
Intramural/Recreational Sports July 2003 – January 2005
- Scheduled regular season and tournament play for over 30 sports and activities per year, utilizing Intramural Participation System, Tournament Builder, and Recreational Solutions.
- Hired, trained, and managed approximately 80 officials, scorekeepers, and sport monitors in Flag Football, Soccer, Basketball, Softball, and Volleyball.
- Hired, trained, and evaluated 6+ Intramural Supervisors.
- Resolved protests and handled disciplinary actions of ejected participants.
- Developed a marketing campaign for Intramural Sports including flyers, multimedia, and on campus presentations.
- Monitored and maintained the Intramural Sports budget and equipment inventory.
- Implemented and documented risk management procedures for all player/participant injuries.
- Managed newly renovated Intramural Sports Complex including 5 lit multi-use fields and concession stand.
- Served as a liaison between club sport officers and the Associate Director of Intramurals and Sport Clubs.
- Collaborated with Intramural Sports chairpersons from residence halls, fraternities, sororities, and campus groups to ensure quality experiences.
- Completed payroll for all student staff.
- Assisted with all HPER special events.
- Edited, revised, and rewrote officials, supervisors, and sport manuals.
Building Supervisor, University of Arkansas
Intramural/Recreational Sports June 2004 – December 2004
- Oversaw all weekend operational functions, including building security, staff management, and activity supervision.
- Directly supervised a diverse staff of facility assistants, lifeguards, service center, fitness center, and office assistants.
- Checked and documented pool chemistry and water levels.
- Maintained open and closing cash reports.
- Responsible for room and equipment set up and breakdowns.
- Relayed maintenance issues to the Associate Director and Director.
Student Manager, Central Michigan University
University Recreation February 2001 – May 2003
- Oversaw all evening/weekend operational functions for the Student Activity Center and Rose Complex.
- Enforced all Student Activity Center rules, regulations, policies, and procedures.
- Completed employee performance reports of student employees.
- Responsible for cash reports and maintained cash procedures.
- Maintained complex security; including opening and closing procedures.
- Provided excellent customer service when dealing with difficult situations.
- Participated in the interview process of hiring new Student Managers.
- Directly supervised student employees in various activity areas in the building.
- Set-up/take down of activity areas for open recreation and physical education classes.
- Guided building tours for prospective members.
- Recorded facility and maintenance checks, including hourly participant counts.
- 2008 NIRSA Tony J. Chivetta Scholarship Recipient
- 2005 NIRSA William Wasson Award Recipient
- 2005 NIRSA Foundation Scholarship Recipient
- Outstanding Softball, Flag Football, Soccer Official, CMU, Fall 2000
- Outstanding Floor Hockey Official, CMU, Spring 2000