All Faculty, Staff
Associate Professor Emerita
College of Education and Health Professions
(NURS)-Department of Nursing
Kathleen Barta has clinical expertise in the care of children and families. She has worked as a nurse educator since 1980 and was instrumental in the development and implementation of both the BSN, RN to BSN, MSN, and DNP programs at the University of Arkansas.
School health, school nursing, research utilization and evidence-based practice, professional development.
- Evaluation Methods and Translational Research
- Curriculum and Evaluation
- Capstone Seminar and Implementation
- Ed.D., University of Arkansas, Adult Education, 1992
- M.S.N., Boston College, Maternal Child Nursing, 1980
- B.S.N., Marquette University, Nursing, 1975
(For full listing see attached CV above)
- Barta, K., Neighbors, M., & Lloyd, M. (Winter 2011). Beyond the BMI mandate: Lessons learned at the local level. Arkansas Nursing News, 7(4):12-17. Article summarized local research project and formatted for continuing education for nurses.
- Odell, E., & Barta, K. (2011). Teaching evidence-based practice: The BSN essentials at work at the bedside. Journal of Professional Nursing, 27(6):370-377.
- Totten, S., Sills, T., Barta, K., Nielson, W., & Digby, A. (1996). Middle level education: An annotated bibliography. Westport, CT: Greenwood Publishers.
Chapters in books
- Barta, K. (2006). Genetics. In Monahan, Sands, Neighbors, Marek & Green-Nigro, (Eds.), Phipps medical surgical nursing: Health and illness perspectives, (8th ed.). St. Louis: Mosby. Developed new chapter for this edition.
- Barta, K. (2003). Prepared 14 “Nursing Research Boxes” for the second edition of Fundamentals of Nursing: Caring and Clinical Judgment, Second Edition, Edited by Helen Harkreader and Mary Ann Hogan, Elsevier Science.
- Barta, K. (2011). Case study: Minority health disparities, Healthy People 2020 and Education for Health Successful Practices Initiatives of the Association for Prevention Teaching and Research. Available at http://c.ymcdn.com/sites/www.aptrweb.org/resource/resmgr/sp_nursing/uark_barta.cs.pdf
Barta, K. (2014). Sponsor: Health Resources & Services Administration Nurse Faculty Loan Program Grant: formula-funded program. $5,000 supplemented with $556 as 1/9 match from UA.
Barta, K. (2012). Sponsor: Health Resources & Services Administration Nurse Faculty Loan Program Grant: formula-funded program. $21,936 supplemented with $2,437 as 1/9 match from UA.
Barta, K. (2012). Honors College Grant Award $1000 as mentor for Kenita Davis – Prevalence of Risk for Eating Disorder of Students Living on Campus at the University of Arkansas.
Barta, K. (2012). Honors College Grant Award $1000 as mentor for Paige Giles, "– Peer Influence and Body Dissatisfaction amongs College Sorority Women"
Barta, K. (2011). Sponsor: Health Resources & Services Administration Traineeship Grant: "University of Arkansas Advanced Education Nursing Traineeship Program" formula-funded program. $2078.
Beck, J., & Barta, K. (2011). Sponsor: Arkansas Minority Health Commission. Health disparities grant. $4,500 included funding for blood pressure equipment for screening events, scholarships for students to attend conference, and funding for poster development.
Beck, J., & Barta, K. (2010). Sponsor: Arkansas Minority Health Commission. Tobacco-Free and Healthy Mini-Grant. $5,000. Included support for student posters and registration.
Barta, K. (2010). Sponsor: Health Resources & Services Administration Traineeship Grant: "University of Arkansas Advanced Education Nursing Traineeship Program" formula-funded program. $2991.
Barta, K. (2009). SURF Grant Award $1000 as mentor for Stephanie Moore - The Effect of Sexual Activity on Self-esteem Related to Gender and Ethnicity
Barta, K. (2009). Honors College Grant Award $1000 as mentor for Grace Adams honors thesis - Evaluation of the Use of the NPAL in Peripherally Inserted Central Catheter (PICC) Insertion
Barta, K. (2009). Honors College Grant Award $1000 as mentor for Mary Smith Honors Student - Factors Influencing Nurse Assistance and Promotion of Breastfeeding in a Hospital Setting
Barta, K. (2008). UA Housing for Faculty Associates Minigrant - $1000; developed materials for and conducted four discussion sessions: Movie Nights at Maple South Residence
Barta, K. (2008). SURF Grant Award $1000 as mentor for Mary Smith Honor Student: Predictors of breastfeeding at discharge in hospitalized childbearing women.
Barta, K. (2008). SURF Grant mentor for Katherine Delph Honor Student Beliefs and attitudes toward menstruation between cultures.
Barta, K. (2007). University of Arkansas Student Affairs grant of $3000 for curriculum innovation proposal: NURS 471V Special Topics: Minority Health Disparities
Barta, K. (2001). - $500 grant from Mullins Library for purchase of selected illness narratives for book project. Approximately 25 titles purchased for Mullins Library.
Barta, K., & Neighbors, M. (2001). - NWH Auxiliary - $10,000 challenge grant awarded. Second Annual Summer Institute for School Nurses. Co-PI with Dr. Marianne Neighbors.
Barta, K. (2001). Mullins Library Book Grant Award for Illness Narratives. $2000.
Barta, K., & Levene, A. (1999). The Use of Systematic Reviews of Research to Enhance Clinical Practice in Nursing. $1400 from the University of Arkansas Teaching Academy.