Professor Farley has more than 40 years of experience in rehabilitation counseling and counselor education, research, and supervision. He is a Licensed Professional Counselor (L.P.C.) and a previous Associate Fellow of the Albert Ellis Institute. He is a member of the American Counseling Association and several other counseling related professional organizations. He has been a faculty member of the University of Arkansas for 36 years and was department head for Educational Leadership, Counseling, and Foundations from July 2003 to August 2006.
- The development and demonstration of Mental Health and Career Counseling interventions
- The development and demonstration of strategies for promoting generalization and maintenance of learning
- Mental health counseling
- School counseling
- Rehabilitation counseling
- Counselor education and supervision
- Ed.D., University of Arkansas, Counselor Education, 1978
- M.S., University of Central Arkansas, Rehabilitation Counseling, 1972
- B.A., Henderson State University, Psychology/Sociology, 1964
(For full listing see attached CV above)
Articles in Refereed Journals
- Bokker, P, Farley, RC, & Bailey, W (2006) The Relationship Between Custodial Status and Emotional Well-Being Among Recently Divorced Fathers. Journal of Divorce & Remarriage, 44, No. 3/4 p. 83-98
- Bokker, P, Farley, RC, & Denny, G. (2006) The Relationship Between Father/Child Contact and Emotional Well-Being Among Recently Divorced Fathers. Journal of Divorce & Remarriage, 45, No. ½ p. 63-77
Chapters in Books
- Farley, R.C., & Rubin, S.E. (2006). The intake interview. In Roessler, R. & Rubin, S. (Eds.) Case Management and Rehabilitation Counseling-Procedures and Techniques (pp. 33-50) (rev. ed.). Austin, TX: PRO-ED.
- Farley, R.C., & Schriner, K. (1997). Service delivery strategies for promoting employment outcomes. In Menz, F., Eggers, J., Wehman, P., & Brooke, V. (Eds.), Lessons for Improving Employment of People With Disabilities From Vocational Rehabilitation Research (pp. 119-134). Menomonie, WE National Association of Rehabilitation Research and Training Centers.
Instructional Packages, Books, and Manuals
- Farley, R.C., & Bolton, B. (1994). Developing an employability assessment and planning program in rehabilitation and educational settings. Instructional package consists of three manuals, an instructor's guide, instructor's resource guide, and a participant's manual. Fayetteville: University of Arkansas, Research and Training Center in Vocational Rehabilitation.
- Roessler, R., & Farley, R. (1993). Return to work (trainer's & participant's manuals). Fayetteville: University of Arkansas Research and Training Center in Vocational Rehabilitation.
- Johnson, V.A., & Farley, R.C. (1998). Go for the gold: Empowerment training to enhance client participation in the rehabilitation process. In Middleton, R. A. & Rollings, C. (Eds.). Proceedings of the National Association of Multicultural Rehabilitation Concerns Annual Conference. Auburn: NAMRC, Auburn University.
- Johnson, V.A., Farley, R.C., Warne, J. & Williamson, B. (1998). Native Americans with disabilities: Power strategies for cross cultural service delivery. In Middleton, R. A. & Rollins, C. (Eds.). Proceedings of the National Association of Multicultural Rehabilitation Concerns Annual Conference. Auburn: NAMRC, Auburn University.
National & Regional
- Newgent, R., Davis, H., & Farley, R. (2004, April) Supervisors’-in-Training Perceptions of Individual, Triadic, and Group Models of Supervision, American Counseling Association [ACA] 2004 World Conference, Kansas City, Missouri.
- Farley, RC (2003, Aug) Beating the Odds of Self-Defeating Reactions to Adult Life Transitions; Association for Adult Development and Aging National Conference, Las Vegas, NV
State and Local
- Farley, R. (March 2010). The Foundation of a Theoretical Counseling Approach. Arkansas Mental Health Counseling Association Annual Conference. Little Rock.
- Farley, R. (2009 Nov.). Arkansas Board of Examiners in Counseling Requirements. Arkansas Counseling Association Annual Conference. Fort Smith.
RESEARCH DISSEMINATION AND UTILIZATION PRESENTATIONS & EXHIBITS
National & Regional
- Farley, R.C., Johnson, V., & Means, B. (1997, August). Research and training products that facilitate employment preparation and employment outcomes for people with disabilities: Southwest Regional Rehabilitation Association Annual Conference, New Orleans, LA.
- Farley, R.C. & Johnson, V. (1997, July). Research and training products that facilitate employment preparation and employment outcomes for people with disabilities: National Association of Multicultural Rehabilitation Concerns. Las Vegas, NV.
State & Local
- Farley, R., Means, B., Akridge, R., & Rice, D. (1991). Research and training products that facilitate employability development and employment outcomes for people with disabilities. Arkansas Rehabilitation Association Annual Conference, Hot Springs, AR.
- Farley, R.C., Means, B.L., & Akridge, R.L. (1991). Research and training products that facilitate employability development and employment outcomes for people with disabilities. Americans with Disabilities Act Conference, Fayetteville, AR.
Professor Farley has an extensive teaching, research, and service record. He has taught 20 different courses in counseling at both the M.S. and Ph.D. levels. He has in excess of 90 publications and 100 presentations. Professor Farley has been the principal investigator or co-investigator on research teams that have been successful in developing grant proposals that have been awarded external funds in excess of $12 million. In addition to disseminating his research findings through publications and presentations, he has facilitated the utilization of findings by conducting over 250 workshops and seminars across the country for national, regional, and state audiences. Over 3,000 participants from all 50 states have received over 3,500 instructional hours of training on a variety of topic areas related to his research.