Assistant Professor of Exercise Science
Director, Office for Sport Concussion Research
College of Education and Health Professions
(HHPR)-Health, Human Performance, & Recreation
Fax: (479) 575-2853
Dr. Elbin currently studies the neurocognitive, physical, and psychosocial effects of sport-related concussion in youth and college-age athletes. Specifically, his research focuses on identifying factors that influence concussion risk and recovery outcomes as well as the chronic effects of concussion in youth athletes.
Sport and exercise psychology, exercise physiology, motor control, motor development, research methods and statistics
- Post-Doctoral Research Fellowship, University of Pittsburgh, School of Medicine, UPMC Sport Concussion Program
- Ph.D., Michigan State University, Kinesiology, 2010
- M.A., University of New Orleans, Health and Human Performance, 2005
- B.A., University of New Orleans, General Studies/Healthcare Marketing, 2002
- Kontos, A.P., Elbin, R.J., Fazio, V., Burkhart, S., Maroon, J., Collins, M.W. (In Press). Risk of sport-related concussion among youth football players aged 8 – 12 years, Journal of Pediatrics.
- Kontos, A.P., Elbin, R.J., Covassin, T., Newcomer-Appaneal, R., Collins, M.W. (In Press). A comparison of coping responses among high school and college athletes with concussion, orthopaedic injuries, and healthy controls. Research in Sports Medicine.
- Elbin, R.J., Kontos, A.P., Kegal, N., Burkhart, S., Johnson, E., Schatz, P. (In Press). Individual and combined effects of LD and ADHD on computerized neurocognitive concussion test performance: Evidence for separate norms. Archives of Clinical Neuropsychology.
- Kontos, A.P., Elbin, R.J., Lau, B., Simensky, S., Collins, M.W. (In Press). It’s more than just a headache! Post-traumatic migraine as a predictor of neurocognitive recovery and cognitive impairment following sport-related concussion. American Journal of Sport Medicine.
- Meehan, W.P., Mannix, R.C., Stracciolini, A., Elbin, R.J., Collins, M.W. (In Press). Symptom severity predicts prolonged recovery after sport-related concussion: age, amnesia do not, Journal of Pediatrics.
- Covassin, T. Elbin, R.J., Crutcher B. Burkhart, S., Kontos, A.P. (In Press) The relationship between coping, neurocognitive performance, and concussion symptoms in high school and collegiate athletes. The Sport Psychologist.
- Elbin, R.J., Covassin, T., Henry, L., Whalen, D., Wedge, J., Kontos, A.P. (2013). Sport-related concussion: How many is too many? Journal of Translational Stroke Research. 4, 425 – 431.
- Covassin, T., Elbin, R.J., Crutcher, B., Burkhart, S. (2013). Should males and females be managed differently when it comes to sport-related concussion? Journal of Translational Stroke Research. 4, 420 – 424.
- Kontos, A.P., Kotwal, R.S., Elbin, R.J., Lutz, R.H., Forsten, R.D., Benson, P.J., Guskiewicz, K.M. (2013). Residual effects of combat-related mild traumatic brain injury. Journal of Neurotrauma. 30, 680 – 686.
- McGrath, N., Dinn, W.M., Collins, M.W., Lovell, M.R., Elbin, R.J., Kontos, A.P. (2013). Post-exertion neurocognitive test failure among student-athletes following concussion.Brain Injury. 27, 103- 113.
- Elbin, R.J., Covassin, T., Hakun, J., Kontos, A.P., Berger, K. Pfeiffer, K. & Ravizza, S. (2012). Do brain activation changes persist in athletes with a history of two or more concussions who are asymptomatic? Brain Injury. 26, 1217 – 1225.
- Kontos, A.P., Elbin, R.J., Schatz, P., Covassin, T. Henry, L., Collins, M.W. (2012). A revised factor structure for the post concussion symptom scale (PCSS): Baseline and post-concussion factors, American Journal of Sports Medicine. 40, 2375 - 84.
- Covassin, T., Elbin, R.J., Parker, T., Harris, B., Kontos, A.P. (2012). The role of age and sex on symptoms, neurocognitive performance, and postural stability in athletes after concussion. American Journal of Sports Medicine, 40(6), 1303-12.
- Covassin, T., Elbin, R.J., Larson, B., Kontos, A.P. (2012). Sex and age differences in depression and baseline sport-related concussion neurocognitive performance and symptoms. Clinical Journal of Sports Medicine. 22, 98-104.
- Covassin, T., Elbin, R.J., & Sarmiento, K. (2012) Educating coaches about concussion: Evaluation of the CDC’s “Heads Up: Concussion in Youth Sports” initiative. Journal of School Health. 82,(5), 233-238.
- Kontos, A.P., Covassin, T., Elbin, R.J., Parker, T. (2012). Depression and neurocognitive performance after concussion among male and female high school and collegiate athletes.Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation. 93, 1751 – 1756.
- Schatz, P., Kontos, A.P., Elbin, R.J. (2012). Response to “Clinical utility of ImPACT assessment for post-concussion return-to-play counseling: Psychometric Issues.” Journal of Clinical and Experimental Neuropsychology. 34, 428-434.
- Elbin, R.J., Schatz, P., Covassin, T. (2011). One-year test-retest reliability of the online version of ImPACT in high school athletes. American Journal of Sports Medicine. 39, 2319 – 2324.
- Kontos, A. P., Dolese, A., Elbin, R.J., Covassin, T., Warren, B. L. (2011). An examination of heading and neuropsychological decrements in youth soccer. Brain Injury. 25, 1234-41.
- Covassin, T., Elbin, R.J. (2011). The female athlete: The role of sex in the assessment and management of sport-related concussion. Clinics in Sport Medicine, 30, 125-131.
- 2013 American College of Sports Medicine Best Clinical Abstract Award
- 2012 Womack Army Medical Center Research Award
- 2010 Outstanding Doctoral Student Award, Department of Kinesiology, Michigan State University
- 2010 College of Education, “Dissertation Completion Award,” Michigan State University
- 2009 College of Education “Alumni Award,” Michigan State University
- 2009 Department of Kinesiology Research Fellowship Recipient, Michigan State University
- 2008 College of Education “Excellence in Teaching and Innovation Award” Nomination, Michigan State University
- 2008 Summer Research Fellowship, Michigan State University
- 2005 Crescent City Doctoral Scholarship Recipient, University of New Orleans