All Faculty, Staff
Assistant Professor of TESOL
College of Education and Health Professions
(CIED)-Curriculum & Instruction
Kristina (Tina) M. Howett is an Assistant Professor of TESOL (Teaching English for Speakers of Other Languages) in the Department of Curriculum and Instruction at the University of Arkansas, where she teaches graduate and undergraduate courses in TESOL education. She is Past President of ARKTESOL (Arkansas Teachers of English for Speakers of Other Languages) and currently serves as the Scholarship/Awards Chair. Her professional experience includes serving on the Arkansas Department of Education English Language Proficiency Frameworks, Range Finding, and Annual Measurable Achievement Objectives Committees. She is coordinating and researching the Arkansas Biliteracy Award, a partnership with ARKTESOL and AFLTA (Arkansas Foreign Language Teachers Association) to recogonize high school students who have studied and attained proficiency in two or more languages. She is the recipient and coordinator of numerous grant-funded programs serving ELLs of all ages. As the founding member and chair of the HEMEY (Higher Education for Migrant ESOL Youth) Scholarship Committee, Dr. Howlett helped raise $50,000.00 for college tuition scholarships for language minority students. She is a member and former Treasurer of Delta Kappa Gamma Society International, Iota Chapter, an organization of key women educators. Prior to her teaching career, she gained leadership experience as an international tour director in Indonesia, Israel, Mexico, Morocco, and Tunisia. Dr. Howlett presents regularly at state, national, and international conferences, and she is fluent in Spanish, French, and Italian. Her research interests include multicultural education, social justice, community partnerships, teacher preparation and professional development, and service learning.
- Second Language Methodologies
- Second Language Acquisition
- Second Language Assessments
- Social Justice and Multicultural Education
- CIED 6193 Teaching English Learners in the Content Areas (online)
- CIED 5963 Second Language Assessment (online)
- CIED 5943 Teaching People of Other Cultures
- CIED 5933 Second Language Methodologies
- CIED 5983 ESL Practicum (Introduction to TESOL)
- CIED 4403 Understanding Cultures in the Classroom
- CIED 1013 Introduction to Education
- CIED 599v Action Research
- Ph.D., University of Arkansas, Curriculum and Instruction, 2005
- M.P.S., Manhattanville College, TESOL, 1993
- B.A., The University of Connecticut, Italian, 1983
- Howlett, K.M., Mysore, A.R., Allred, J.B., Beck, D. (2019). An english language learner service learning project: Preparing education majors using technology and the SAMR model. CALL-EJ, 20(2), 128-149. http://callej.org/journal/20-2/Howlett-Mysore-Allred-Beck2019.pdf
- Karami, A., Howlett, K.M., & Bowles, F. A. (2019). Implementing dynamic assessment in assessing vocabulary development: What the literature says. I-Manager's Journal on English Language Teaching, 9(2), 52-59. doi:http://dx.doi.org/10.26634/jelt.9.2.15518
- Howlett, K.M. & Kindall, H. (2019, In Press). Building a classroom library based on multicultural principles: A checklist for K-6 future teachers. Multicultural Education.
- Howlett, K.M. & Nguyen, H. (2019, In Press). Autoethnograpic reflections of an international graduate teaching assistant's co-teaching experiences. Journal of International Students.
- Howlett, K.M. & Penner-Williams, J. (2019, Under Review). Exploring teachers’ perceptions of an English language proficiency (ELP) standards professional development.
- Howlett, K.M. (2019, Under Review). Reflective multicultural journaling with undergraduate teacher candidates: Looking backward, inward, outward, and forward. Journal of Elementary Education.
- Howlett, K.M., & Davis, W.S. (2018). Developing bilinguistic youth social capital: Voices of biliterate youth. Educational Borderlands: A Bilingual Journal. https://educationalborderlands-ojs-utrgv.tdl.org/educationalborderlands/index.php/eb/article/view/10
- Howlett, K., Lincoln, F., & Bowles, F. (2017). Infusing multicultural literature into teacher education programs: Three instructional approaches. Multicultural Education, 24 (3-4), 10-15. Feature Article. https://eric.ed.gov/?id=EJ1162662
- Howlett, K.M. & Young, H. (2019). Preparing Teachers to Effectively Engage With Young English Language Learners and Immigrant Families: A Research Review. In J. Keengwe (Ed.), Handbook of Research on Pedagogies and Cultural Considerations for Young English Language Learners. Hersey, PA: IGI Global.
- Howlett, K., & Kindall, H. (2017). Foundational Processes, Home-School Partnerships, and Culturally Responsive Practices for Dual Language Learners. In J. Keengwe (Ed.), Handbook of Research on Pedagogies and Cultural Considerations for Young English Language Learners. Hersey, PA: IGI Global: https://www.igi-global.com/chapter/foundational-processes-home-school-partnerships-and-culturally-responsive-practices-for-dual-language-learners/190971
- Howlett, K., (2017, February). What it takes to become a multicultural educator: A Book Review. [Review of the book Becoming a Multicultural Educator, by Howe, W. & Lisi, P.]. HEIS Newsletter. Retrieved from http://newsmanager.commpartners.com/tesolheis/issues/2017-01-24/5.html
- Howlett, K. M. (2005). The impact of an english as a second language professional development program on teacher practice (Order No. 3201505). Available from Dissertations & Theses @ University of Arkansas Fayetteville; ProQuest Dissertations & Theses Global. (305027924). Retrieved from http://0-search.proquest.com.library.uark.edu/docview/305027924?accountid=8361 sertation
- Hellman, A., Uribe-Zarain, X., Gonzalez, A. Caruso, A. & Howlett, K.M. (2019, March). Getting Ready for a New Group of English Learners, 2019 TESOL Internation Convention, Atlanta, GA.
- Howlett, K.M. & Mysore, A.R. (2018, November). Service Learning and Cultural Reflections of Education Majors to Rise Up. NAME (National Association for Multicultural Education) 28th Annual International Conference, Memphis, TN.
- Howlett, K.M. & Young, H.D. (2018, Novermber). Building a Classroom Library Based on Multicultural Principles: A Checklist for Future K-6 Teachers. NAME (National Association for Multicultural Education) 28th Annual International Conference, Memphis, TN.
- Howlett, K.M., Allred, J.B. Beck, D., Mysore, A.R. (2018, October). Multicultural Service Learning Innovations: Preparing Education Majors Using Technology the SAMR Model. AECT (Association for Educational Communications and Technology Conference). Kansas City, MO.
- Nguyen, H., Howlett, K.M. (2018, September). An International Graduate Teaching Assistant's Co-Teaching Experience. Paper presented at the MidTESOL Conference, Kansas City, MO.
- Howlett, K. M., Allred, J. B., Beck, D., Mysore, A. R. (2018, June). Multicultural Service Learning Technology Innovations: Preparing Undergraduate Education Majors Using the SAMR Model. The Future of Education International Conference, Florence, Italy. https://conference.pixel-online.net/FOE/files/foe/ed0008/FP/4828-ICL3206-FP-FOE8.pdf
- Howlett, K. M. (2018, March). The Voices and Experiences of Biliterate Youth in Northwest Arkansas. Poster presented at the TESOL 2018 International Convention & English Language Expo, Chicago, IL.
- Davis, W. & Howlett, K. M. (2017, November). The Arkansas Biliteracy Award: First Year Successes, Findings, and the Future. Paper Presented at the Annual Arkansas TESOL (Teachers of English to Speakers of Other Languages) Conference, Hot Springs, AR.
- Howett, K. M. & Davis, W. (2017, October). Developing Bilinguistic Cultural Capital: Voices of Biliterate Young Adults. Poster Presented at the Annual Southeast TESOL (Teachers of English to Speakers of Other Languages) Conference, Birmingham, AL.
- Howlett, K. M. & Bowles, F. (2017, August). Infusing Multicultural Literature into Teacher Education Courses. Paper Presented at the Annual Conference for the Association of Teacher Educators. Pittsburgh, PA.
- Howlett, K. M. & Lincoln, F. (2017, July). Formative Assessment for English Language Learners. Workshop presented at Bentonville High School, Bentonville, AR.
- Howlett, K. M. (2016, November). Enrich Your Classroom with Multicultural Literature! Workshop presented at the Annual ARKTESOL Conference. Springdale, AR.
- Howlett, K. M. & Davis, W. (2016, November). The Seal of Biliteracy: National Initiatives and State Status. Paper Presented at the Annual ARKTESOL Conference. Springdale, AR.
Assistant Professor of TESOL, University of Arkansas
ESOL/Migrant Curriculum Specialist, Rogers Public Schools, Rogers, AR
Lead ESOL Teacher, Elmwood Junior High and Greer Lingle Middle Schools, Rogers, AR
ESOL Teacher, Grades K-12, Easton Public Schools, Easton, PA
ESOL, GED, and Adult Education Teacher, Northampton Community College, Bethlehem, PA
Honors & Awards
- Non-So-New Faculty Commendation for Teaching Development, University of Arkansas
- Professional Travel Assistance Award, University of Arkansas
- Finalist, Outstanding Faculty Member Nominee, University of Arkansas
- President Elect, ARKTESOL (Arkansas Teachers of English for Speakers of Other Languages)
- Outstanding Doctoral Student of the Year, University of Arkansas, College of Education and Health Professions
- Teacher of the Year, Greer Lingle Middle School, Rogers, AR
- International Education Week Field Trip Grant, Office of Diversity and Inclusion
- Teaching Faculty and Support Center Grant: ESL Teacher Buddies
- International Education Week Field Trip Grant, Office of Diversity and Inclusion
- Arkansas Teachers of English to Speakers of Other Languages (ARKTESOL) Educator Grant: ESL Summer Camp
- Rogers Educational Foundation Grant: Girls with Goals Fun Fitness Program
- First Book Grant: Expanding ESL Classroom Libraries
- Association for Library Service to Children "Light the Way" Grant: Bilingual Teens as Teachers and Tutors
- Dollar General Youth Literacy Foundation Grant: Reading Counts
- MetLife Libraries for the Future: Great Expectations: Growing Up Hispanic in the U.S.A.
- Arkansas Humanities Council Grant: Our Community: Past, Present and Future