All Faculty, Staff
Dr. Hoover received his undergraduate degree from Texas Tech University in 2004. While working on a Master of Education degree at the University of Arkansas, he served as the graduate assistant for the Outdoor Connection Center. He went on to complete his Doctorate in Recreation and Sport Management from the University of Arkansas in 2011. For two years, he served as Assistant Professor of Recreation at Henderson State University in Arkadelphia, Arkansas. In 2013, Dr. Hoover taught in the Health and Human Performance department at the University of Wisconsin-River Falls (UWRF), and served as coordinator of the UWRF outdoor recreation program. He arrived at the University of Arkansas in 2014.
Since serving as an undergraduate student staff in the outdoor recreation program at Texas Tech University, Dr. Hoover has developed a lifelong passion for recreating in the outdoors. He has served in the commercial and campus outdoor recreation field since 2001. Over the years, he has remained active with several professional organizations such as the Association of Outdoor Recreation and Education (AORE), the National Intramural-Recreational Sports Association (NIRSA), and the National Recreation and Parks Association (NRPA). He has past and current certifications with Leave No Trace, the Wilderness Medicine Institute, and the American Canoe Association.
- Leadership development in outdoor recreation
- Outdoor recreation participant and visitor experiences
- Risk management strategies in outdoor recreation
- Recreation and Sport Management - Outdoor Recreation
- Ed.D., University of Arkansas, Recreation and Sport Management, 2011
- M.Ed., University of Arkansas, Recreation and Sport Management, 2009
- B.G.S., Texas Tech University, General Studies, 2004
- Hoover, M.D., & Vogler, J. (2013). Preparing your career documents for a profession in outdoor recreation. Presented at 2013 Arkansas Adventure Programming Conference, April 2013, Jasper, AR.
- Hoover, M.D. (2012). Auto Belays, Overconfidence, & Bad Luck: Quick Links to Avoid Climbing Accidents. Presented at 2012 Association of Outdoor Recreation and Education Conference, November 2012, Snowbird, UT.
- Hoover, M.D. (2012). Understanding national park visitor experiences through backcountry register content analysis. Presented at NRPA Leisure Research Symposium, October 2012, Anaheim, CA.
- Hoover, M.D. (2010, November). Understanding National Park Visitor Experiences Through Backcountry Register Analysis. Paper presented at the conference of Association of Outdoor Recreation and Education, Keystone, CO.
- Dirksen, S., & Hoover, M.D. (2010, February). Fayetteville Trails: An Economic Impact Analysis. Paper presented at the conference of Arkansas Recreation and Parks Association, Fort Smith, AR.
- Hoover, M.D., & Vogler, J.W. (2009, January). How are we using peer evaluations? An assessment of the tool in outdoor program and leadership development evaluation. Paper presented at the Texas Outdoor Leadership Conference, Huntsville, TX.
- Hoover, M.D., & Hazelrigs, J. (2008, April). Sessions of Success. Presentation at the conference of the National Intramural - Recreational Sports Association, Austin, TX.
- Honorarium Lecture, Lyon College, Batesville, AR - February 28, 2012